Workplace discrimination is a prevalent issue in today’s workforce. Many people have been discriminated against by their employers or coworkers based on one or more of the following factors: gender, race, age, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, disability status, appearance, pregnancy, marital status, or any other protected characteristic under local, federal, or state law. A workplace discrimination lawyer at Littman & Babiarz Law Office can help you determine whether you have been discriminated against and, if so, what your options are.
Reasons you should hire a workplace discrimination lawyer
While there are many federal and state laws to protect employees from discrimination, it is important to have a lawyer who knows the law. Why?
- Understanding the laws of your state. Knowing your rights is something you should never overlook. Having a lawyer explain the law is crucial to your case and they may even take your case to court. A lawyer will determine what is needed in your state.
- To Determine If you have a case. If you feel you have been discriminated against, you should speak with an attorney. A lawyer can help you make a determination of whether you have a case or not. You can only move forward with your case if you know if you have one. Taking care of certain aspects yourself is possible, but an attorney can help you determine if they can bring your case to court and get you most of your compensation
- To gather evidence. If you choose to pursue legal action, your lawyer will help you gather all the evidence necessary to prove your case. A lawyer will even advise you on how to handle the situation so that you won’t accidentally destroy any valuable evidence.
- To negotiate with the opposing party. In most cases, the opposing party’s lawyer will try to negotiate a settlement before trial. It is always best to have an attorney available to review the settlement to understand if you are getting the most of what you deserve in your case.
- To settle your case. If your case is settled outside the courtroom, your lawyer will ensure that you get all the relief you are entitled to. During settlement negotiations, the opposing party’s lawyer may offer to dismiss or reduce some or all the claims against you in exchange for your agreement to settle. If you are willing to settle, speak with an experienced discrimination attorney before agreeing to any settlement.
- To file your case. If you choose to pursue legal action, your lawyer will help you file your case with the court. They will make sure that they fill out the necessary paperwork correctly and completely. In addition, if your case is a class-action lawsuit, your lawyer will make sure that you comply with all the correct procedures.
A prevalent issue in today’s workforce is discrimination in the workplace. When you file your case, a lawyer will determine what evidence to use and if they should pursue the case.
Attorneys at Littman & Babiarz Law Office have been helping the workforce file their cases for workplace discrimination. Thus, we’ve been able to help many workers win their cases. We can be reached at 607-366-5918. Feel free to contact us free of charge if you have any questions about workplace discrimination in Ithaca and Auburn. We also serve communities around Lansing, Watkins Glen, Owego, Elmira, and surrounding Tomkins County, Seneca County, Cayuga County, Cortland County, Schuyler County, Chemung County, Tioga County, Yates County, Onondaga County, and Broome County.