At Littman & Babiarz, we see on-the-job injuries in the healthcare industry all too often. As your experienced workers’ compensation attorneys in Syracuse, NY and the surrounding areas of Central New York, we know how to provide assistance when nurses, medical assistants, or other skilled staff suffer injuries while caring for others. These tireless professionals in the Veteran’s Administration and university health care system, among others, work long hours, and when they suffer an injury, they deserve the best care possible.
Workers’ Compensation provides financial compensation for medical care, wages and some other expenses if you become sick or suffer an injury while working as a:
- Home Health Worker
- Medical Assistant
- Nursing Home Aid
- Patient Driver
- Physical/Occupational Therapist or Aide
- And More…
The Workers’ Compensation system can be confusing when you’re already dealing with an injury. Littman & Babiarz Attorneys at Law can help healthcare professionals get the compensation they deserve.
Common Healthcare Work Injuries
According to The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), “Cases of non-fatal occupational injury and illness with healthcare workers are among the highest of any industry sector.” The rate of injury is nearly two times that of the construction and oil-and-gas extraction industries. Over a half million healthcare workers are injured at work every year.
Common injuries for healthcare professionals include:
- Musculoskeletal Injuries– Back injuries are three times more common among certain healthcare workers than those working in construction.
- Slip, Trip and Fall Injuries
- Illnesses from Exposure to Blood Borne Pathogens– Healthcare workers who regularly deal with syringes and hazardous medical waste are at a high risk of contracting a serious illness, such as tuberculosis.
- Workplace Violence– Over an 11-year period, serious workplace violence was four times more common in the healthcare industry than others.
Types of Workers’ Compensation Benefits
Workers’ compensation is a complex system. Certain general benefits apply to all workers, while others may apply to you, depending on the nature of your work-related illness or injury. In some cases, you may be able to receive multiple benefits through workers’ compensation, such as:
- Hospital and Medical Expenses
- Lost Wages
- Retraining for a new Job (if necessary)
- Lump-Sum Settlement
- Specific Loss and Amputation
- Injuries from Defective Products
Littman & Babiarz are your experienced workers compensation lawyers in Ithaca, Elmira, Auburn and Syracuse, New York, and we can help you determine your best options. Any workers’ compensation claim has a time limit for filing, so it’s important to contact us right away.
Workers Compensation Attorneys in Syracuse, Auburn, Ithaca and Central NY
Whenever you are hurt on the job, especially in the healthcare industry, you may wonder if an attorney is necessary. After all, your employer is required to carry workers’ compensation insurance, and your own colleagues will be providing any medical care you require. However, you should consider the following questions:
- Were you exposed to hazardous materials at work?
- Were you injured in a slip-and-fall accident, or while moving a patient?
- Were you injured in a workplace assault?
- Are you already receiving workers’ compensation, but are in danger of losing benefits or receiving reduced payments?
- Have you been asked to return to work, but are still too injured to do so?
- Are you being pressured to take a lump-sum settlement, and don’t know what to do?
Situations like these can arise and cause uncertainty and confusion. That’s when you need experienced workers’ compensation attorneys in Syracuse, Auburn and Central NY in your corner. Littman & Babiarz will put our education and experience with the workers’ compensation system to work for you, to see that you receive all the benefits you deserve.
Call us today at 607-277-7527 or contact us online to set up a free initial consultation.